The Termux app is an Android application that provides a Linux and terminal emulator environment on an Android device. It works for both rooted and unrooted Android devices. It is one of the most important uses for running Linux commands on an Android platform.
However, there is no direct Termux application for Windows or Mac devices. This is because the app is primarily intended to run on an Android platform. To run it on the two platforms, an Android emulator (player) needs to be installed on your Windows or Mac PC. Below are detailed instructions on how to install and run the Termux app on Mac or Windows.
1. Computer with Windows or Mac PC with at least the following requirements:
• Windows XP SP3 or higher
• At least 2 GB of RAM
• At least 4 GB of internal memory
• Updated drivers and PC graphics (required for the PC to run the BlueStacks emulator)
2. Stable internet connection
3. Google account
Now we are ready for the next step.
Install BlueStacks Android Emulator on Windows / Mac
• Visit www.bluestacks.com from your PC browser
• Click on the download button and the website will automatically detect whether it is Windows or Mac
• Download the EXE setup file and run it as administrator
• Click on Next and agree to the terms and conditions
• This will install the BlueStacks Android Emulator and you can take the next step.
It’s worth noting that the BlueStacks you download is a trial version and you need to purchase the full version. However, you can still use it for free by watching video ads and installing the apps they advertise.
Install Termux on Bluestacks
There are two ways you can install the Termux app on the BlueStacks.
one. Use the Google Play Store available on BlueStacks
b. Direct installation of Termux from an APK file pre-downloaded on the PC.
A. Using the Play Store
• Start the BlueStacks app and navigate to the shop icon
• Click on it and you will be asked to add a Google Account
• Enter a valid Google email address and password and click Next to open the Google Play Store
• On the Search tab, type Termux and click Enter to enter
• Click on the first app in the list. Make sure the developer is Fredrik Fornwall to avoid downloading fake apps.
• Click Install and wait for the app to be installed.
That’s it, you have successfully installed Termux from the Play Store.
B. Directly from the PC
Sometimes we want to avoid signing into BlueStacks with a Google Account. This is because there may be a fee, especially if you’ve already added payment options to the Google Play Store. The good news is that there are plenty of websites to download the Termux apk file from. Below are some reliable links you can use to download the APK file. https://apkpure.com/termux/com.termux, https://termux.en.uptodown.com/android, https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/fredrik-fornwall/termux/.
Once you’ve downloaded the Termux file to your computer;
• Double click it to start BlueStacks automatically and ask you to install it.
• If it doesn’t, right click the APK file and open it with. From here you can select BlueStacks and proceed with the installation.
• Alternatively, you can also drag and drop the apk file onto the main BlueStacks tab. You will then be automatically prompted to install.
The main disadvantage of downloading the Termux app from third-party websites is that you may have an older version of the app that may not support the commands you are trying to run on your device. You will also need to manually update the app when a new version becomes available. You can also download a virus, so it is always a good idea to keep your firewall updated.
Once installed, several features can be added using the following add-ons.
• Termux: API – This add-on makes the functionality of the device available as an API for commands, programs or scripts.
• Termux: boot – This add-on usually runs scripts when the device starts
• Termux: float – Allows the user to run Termux in a floating window that overlays other apps
• Termux: Styling – This addon is useful when it comes to customizing Termux. It includes different colors and fonts that you can use to customize the appearance to suit your preferences
• Termux: Task – Allows the user to run scripts from the Tasker
• Termux widget. It offers the ability to run small scripts on the home screen
All of these add-ons are available from the Google Play Store and the websites mentioned above. A detailed explanation of the installation and use of the add-ons can be found at https://wiki.termux.com/wiki/Main_Page.
Here’s how you can install the Termux app on your Mac or Windows computer.
Also read: JuiceSSH Client for PC